Kirsten Zelenak began volunteering for Dolls for Daughters® in 2009. As with other volunteers, she found out about DfD through word of mouth. Once she got involved, she was hooked. It is with gratitude for all Kirsten does that we share with you the words of this volunteer superstar!
1. Why did you decide to volunteer with Dolls for Daughters®?
I have always loved to volunteer. Courtney Clark, one of the sisters of my best friend, is the one who told me about Dolls for Daughters®. Once I found out more information about this organization and why Jessica created it, I knew I wanted to be a part of it.
2. How long have you been a volunteer for Dolls for Daughters®?
Three years. This will be my third toy drive and I am looking forward to it.
3. What is your most memorable experience volunteering for Dolls for Daughters® and which event was it at?
The annual toy drive in November. This will be my third year helping to set up the event and pass out toys. There is nothing better than seeing a child’s face light up because they get one toy. Each parent and child are so grateful, and it is such a rewarding feeling to contribute to their joy.
4. Have you participated in any fundraising event that Dolls for Daughters® has held?
I have participated in several bowl-a-thons and silent auctions.
5. Have you shared your volunteer experience with your friends and family? If so, what was their reaction?
Yes, I have shared my experiences and Dolls for Daughters® with them.
6. If you did share your experience, have any of your friends or family become Dolls for Daughters® volunteers because of it?
I have encouraged many of my co-workers to volunteer for a Dolls for Daughters® event, even if it is just one time. Every one of them has said it was an amazing experience and thanked me for asking them to participate.
7. With so many organizations in need of volunteers, what suggestions or advice do you have for people who consider volunteering, especially when it comes to choosing where to offer their help?
Choose an organization that means a lot to you or even something you can relate to. There are so many organizations out there, so take the time to learn about each and every one of them. Remember, you don’t have to stick to an organization. I encourage everyone to take the time to volunteer because you can’t know how rewarding it is until you do it.