Bequests Through Your Will
A bequest to Kenzi’s Causes is one of the most effective and simplest ways to make a lasting impact on the lives of underprivileged children. You may specify an exact amount or a percentage you wish to give to Kenzi’s Causes. If you would like to make such a gift, you may include language similar to the following in your will:
“I, [name], of [city, state, zip code], give, devise and bequeath to Kenzi’s Causes, a Colorado nonprofit public benefit corporation having its principal office at 501 South Cherry Street, Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80246, [written amount or percentage of the estate or description of property] to be used for the furtherance of its charitable purposes in the discretion and at the direction of its board of directors for its unrestricted use and purpose.”
If you are considering making a gift by bequest, please meet with your attorney to discuss the ramifications and, if appropriate, update your will.
Giving Retirement Funds and Insurance Policies
If you would like to create a legacy for children but do not wish to designate a gift in your will, you can name Kenzi’s Causes as a beneficiary of your retirement account or life insurance policy.
- Retirement account: You can have a positive impact on children far into the future by naming Kenzi’s Causes as beneficiary or contingent beneficiary of an IRA, 401(k) plan, 403(b) plan or other retirement account. Please consult with your financial planner or attorney regarding considerations when making this type of gift.
- Insurance policies: Life insurance may be used to create a legacy by naming Kenzi’s Causes as primary or contingent beneficiary of the policy. This requires that you complete a change of beneficiary form with your insurance company.
Charitable IRA Rollover
Did you know that you can transfer funds directly from a traditional or Roth IRA to Kenzi’s Causes, avoid having to report the distribution as income, and have an immediate impact on underprivileged children?
If you’re 70-1/2 or older, you can make a charitable IRA rollover which may provide a way to make a meaningful gift to Kenzi’s Causes, reduce your overall tax burden, and take care of your annual required minimum distribution.
- How It Works
If you are 70-1/2 or older, you may transfer up to $100,000 per year directly from your IRA to Kenzi’s Causes. If your spouse has a separate IRA, he or she is also eligible to make a charitable IRA rollover gift. The amount of the transfer will not be included in your taxable income, and the transferred amount counts toward the IRA’s required minimum distribution.
- Making Your Gift
- Talk to your financial and tax advisers to determine whether the charitable IRA rollover is the right option for you.
- Contact your IRA custodian and instruct them to make a distribution directly to Kenzi’s Causes.
- Provide your IRA custodian with our tax ID number, 26-4678835, and contact information (below).
- Notify Julie Wilson, Director of Development & Programs that your gift is on the way.
Transfer of Stock
Long-term, appreciated stocks and securities are an excellent and relatively simple way to fulfill your charitable goals. Appreciated stocks and securities, which have been held for one year or more, can be donated to support our mission in helping underprivileged children. They provide two benefits to you: a current income tax deduction and avoidance of capital gains taxes.
You may instruct brokers to transfer your securities for charitable contributions to Kenzi’s Causes by filling out a stock transfer form.
As with all legal and financial matters, Kenzi’s Causes recommends that donors consult with their personal legal, tax, and financial advisors for specific guidance on how giving to Kenzi’s Causes can affect your personal tax or financial situation.
Thank you for your interest! Do you have questions? Please contact Julie Wilson, Development and Programs Director at Julie@kenziscauses.org or 720-330-2804