1. Why did you decide to volunteer with Dolls for Daughters®?
I decided to volunteer with DfD because of the children they support and the story behind the organization. I lost a child five years ago, and it was the toughest thing I went through. I substituted that loss by getting a dog and moving away to Colorado. I felt like I ran away instead of seeing what I could do to help support those who have also lost children or have been unable to support their children. I wanted to find a way to give back and believe that I now am able to. Being able to help families and children is an amazing feeling, and I like the feeling of joy that it brings me in knowing I am helping out.
2. How long have you been a volunteer with Dolls for Daughters®?
I have only been a volunteer for a few months, and I have enjoyed every moment of it.
3. What is your most memorable experience volunteering with Dolls for Daughters® and which event was it at?
My most memorable experience so far was at the auction at Redline. Being surrounded by an amazing group of people who were all there to support Jessica, as well as the children and families that are going to benefit from the amazing toy shop this year, was a joyous occasion for me. I enjoyed contacting businesses in the area to ask for their support to help raise money so that these children would be able to receive something under their Christmas tree this year. I got even more excited seeing those items at the auction and watching folks donating to help raise money for the toy shop (which I can’t wait to volunteer for!)
4. Have you participated in any fundraising event that Dolls for Daughters® had held?
I participated in the Dolls for Daughters® and Kenzi’s Kidz Auction. I have already signed up for the Christmas Toy Shop. I can’t wait to participate in such an amazing event to help bring Christmas joy to the children and their families!
5. Have you shared your volunteer experience with your friends and family? If so, what was their reaction?
I have shared it with my mother. She is extremely proud and happy to see me helping out with an organization that is helping in my healing process, which is long overdue. I have also shared it with friends and coworkers who are thrilled to see me happy doing something that I truly care about and have a passion for.
6. If you did share your experience, have any of your friends or family become Dolls for Daughters® volunteers because of it?
I am excited to say that I have friends who are wanting to help out, whether it is through their companies donating money or them signing up to come help out with the toy shop. I am glad that they are helping to support Jessica, Dolls for Daughters® and Kenzi’s Kidz!
7. With so many organizations in need of volunteers, what suggestions or advice do you have for people who consider volunteering, especially when it comes to choosing where to offer their help?
I believe instead of thinking about it, they should just DO IT! Volunteer with an organization that you are passionate about. I believe that in doing so, you will find great joy in the work you’ll do! The feeling of helping out and giving back is a feeling that brings warmth and joy to your heart. Believe me!