We never know how or when the encounters in our lives will lead to something more. As a high school teacher, Jessica had the opportunity to touch many young people’s lives. As a result of her involvement with them, some students have continued to be connected with Jessica. Erika Ochoa is one of those young people. Having been touched by Jessica and her story, Erika continues to be a volunteer superstar for Dolls for Daughters®. We are grateful that she is!!
1. How did you learn about Dolls for Daughters® and Kenzi’s Kidz?
From Jessica Bachus.
2. Why did you decide to volunteer with Dolls for Daughters®?
Helping others brings me great joy. I am really passionate about helping others, especially those in need. Also, Jessica is my former high school teacher, and her story really touched me. I wanted to help keep Kenzi’s memory alive in any way I could, especially by volunteering in DFD.
3. How long have you been a volunteer with Dolls for Daughters®?
4. What is your most memorable experience volunteering with Dolls for Daughters® and which event was it at?
The first year I volunteered in 2011 I saw the faces of all those kids full of happiness and joy, as well as the thankful parents and loving volunteers.
5. Have you participated in any fundraising event that Dolls for Daughters® had held?
6. Have you shared your volunteer experience with your friends and family? If so, what was their reaction?
YES! They were so exited that the following year they decided to volunteer too.
7. If you did share your experience, have any of your friends or family become Dolls for Daughters® volunteers because of it?
Yes. Seven of my family and friends have already gotten involved and a few more who really want to get involved but have not been able to so far, due to other commitments.
8. With so many organizations in need of volunteers, what suggestions or advice do you have for people who consider volunteering, especially when it comes to choosing where to offer their help?
Do your research first. Not all organizations have the best interest of helping others in the forefront of what they do. Many are looking for what they can gain. Dolls for Daughters® is an honest organization where their main interest is to put a big smile on kids’ faces at Christmastime.